FlyOver Las Vegas Immersive Experience
FlyOver Las Vegas is a new immersive, state-of-the-art ride that lets you feel as though you’re soaring high above the ground over select destinations. I’ve been on the “Soaring California” ride at Disney’s California Adventures and was hoping it was similar. It’s conveniently location on the Las Vegas Strip.
Oh The Places You’ll Go
In the Las Vegas location, I had the option to “visit” Iceland or The Real Wild West. Each with their own unique videography, sights, sounds, motions, and smells. I chose to do the Iceland Tour.
- Iceland: On the Iceland expedition, you’ll explore volcanoes, glaciers, history and legends as you soar above the vast and beautiful country of Iceland. Some locations you’ll visit include Breiðamerkurjökull Glacier, Mountains of Hörgársveit, Island of Elliðaey, Aldeyjarfoss Waterfalls, City of Reykjavík and more.
- The Real Wild West: On this cowboy adventure, you’ll get to experience the United States’ expansive prairies, towering peaks, picturesque valleys, rushing rivers, and energetic urban places. Some things you’ll experience include the Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Monument Valley, Lake Tahoe, Mojave Desert, Las Vegas Strip and many more.
The experience starts with guests entering a standing waiting room with a video on a large screen that depicts the environment that they’ll be visiting. For the Iceland experience, it looked like an Icelandic hut with a roaring fire. Next, we entered another standing area with a circular screen on the floor that we gathered around and a circular screen hanging above it. I have to admit that I was a bit confused at first because I wasn’t sure it this was the ride or not. We watched a narrated video that informed us about the background and history of Iceland. The audio was a bit difficult to hear as it had a bit of an echo. The video transitioned and overlapped between the hanging circular screen and the flat floor screen, which was cool.
The Immersive Features in Flyover Las Vegas
The immersive ride allows you to feel the motion of flying, see amazing landscapes from high above and up close, smell the places that you’re visiting as if you are really there, feel the wind in your hair as you soar up and over the mountains, canyons, river, volcanoes and more. Here is what makes the experience unique:
- Flight Motion Seats: This is not a stationary ride. You actually feel the movement of the video that you’re seeing.
- Wraparound Screen: You are in the video. The 52.5-foot-wide spherical screen lets you see the landscape from every angle.
- Feel Wind and Mists: Feel the wind against your face as you zip around and feel the mist as you fly over ocean waves or past a waterfall.
- Scents of Nature: Smell oranges as you fly over a citrus grove, smell the campfire as you soar over a campsite.
The Flyover Las Vegas Ride
Finally, we entered the ride area and were ushered to take a seat, buckle the seat belt and get ready to soar. The room went dark and we rose above the ground and then the screen came to life with stunning images of the landscape and people of Iceland. During the ride, we seemed to “float” above the ground, moving back and forth, tilting up and down — in sync with the drone footage and music. It is a vantage point that few get to see of Icleand and did inspire me to want to visit Iceland in person. The entire experience lasts about an hour with the actual ride lasting 8.5 minutes.
FlyOver Las Vegas
3771 Las Vegas Blvd. South
Las Vegas, NV 89109
Located on the Las Vegas Strip right next to Hard Rock Cafe, across the street from Park MGM.
Disclosure: Accommodation was provided by the Flyover Las Vegas in order to do my review, but all opinions are my own.